Sep 11, 2009

flashback friday: birthdays!

Gracie is going to be one this week! Can't believe it. Then again, she just seems so grown up lately, like a toddler. I found a picture of my first birthday this week and there are a couple things I love about it: the Rainbow Bright poster, of course, and that Gracie and I have the exact same hair...color and amount.

I think Gracie gives me this same look sometimes, a little mischievous. I had the BEST birthdays...my family really made them special. My mom would hang up the same "Happy Birthday" sign for every birthday (I made one this year to start the tradition...) with balloons. We got to pick out our very own birthday cereal (usually Corn Pops), we got to take a treat of our choice to our class, we got to choose what meal we wanted Mom to make for dinner, and sometimes we even got to go out to lunch. Not to mention the fun birthday parties, which sometimes were sleepovers!! AWESOME! I've got some big shoes to fill to make my kid's birthdays as memorable as my childhood birthdays were.

I had to throw this picture in...my fourth birthday. I thought some of you would enjoy it :) Elliot, look at your sassy hand on your hip! hehe...
From top left, clockwise: Elliot McMillan, Katie Kober, Callie something..., Erika Phillips, Abby Jones, Stephanie Ulrich, Ashley Baker. How cute is that?! I love it...

7 comments:

kristinann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elliot said...

I'd rather it be sassy than showy--it looks more like I'm finishing up some dance routine or posing for pictures with my show choir.

Mom and Dad said...

You were such a cute one year old. I am glad you loved your birthdays. Don't forget the best part of a birthday - no jobs to do! By the way that is Callie Victor. I work with her mom. I think she lives in California now. I hope we get to see your new birthday banner on Gracie's big day.
love, Mom

Emily said...

I love birthdays, and have great memories of mine as well! I had to laugh about the breakfast cereal, because only someone that comes from a "healthy" home could truly appreciate that! My kids get a box of cereal every year from Santa...you know, the straight sugar kind!....and they love it!

Steph Ulrich said...

Oy my goodness! This is so cute! I love how all the little girls are dressed up!

Ashley said...

Happy Birthday to Gracie this week! How exciting...I can't even believe it's already been a year!

And as for that fabulous picture...TOO FUNNY! Birthday parties at your house always were tons of fun! I am a little bit nervous about the blue number with sequins I'm rocking...hopin that was some dress up clothes! :) But thinking that since it was 1989ish...probably not!!

GaiaGirl said...

So for your fourth birthday, apparently you got my first grade first day of school dresss. I tried to calculate how old it would have been...lost count. You definitely look cuter in it.

Birthday traditions must continue. The birthday cereal and breakfast in bed and no-jobs are my fave.