I've been co-coaching Declo High School girl's soccer since August.
It's been quite the experience. Fun. Frustrating. Exhausting. But overall, a blast.
I loooove soccer and knew that I'd love coaching it....but it was a big commitment that took lots of time. Getting my girls ready to drive 20 minutes out to Declo every day was kind of a lot.
Some days they didn't want to go....some days I didn't want to either.
Once we got out there it was always fun though. Alyssa was so much fun to coach with and the girls were totally awesome, in a sassy kind of way.
(the team at our last game in Twin Falls. Districts vs. Bliss)
Co-coaching means that Alyssa and I were both head coaches. We just split the responsibilities evenly, like only going to every other away game. We also got to take our kids to every practice, which was nice. Our kids loved the "soccer girls" by the end of the season.
(little buddies Ella and Lucy)
I just love the whole soccer atmosphere. At the beginning of the season I was kind of in charge of conditioning. I was the "new coach" and I was pushing those girls to run their guts out. Pretty sure they hated me for the first month or so. We just had our team banquet on Tuesday where the girls signed a picture frame for each coach. Most of the girls wrote, "thanks for making us run so hard...." "thanks for getting us in shape, we needed it..." I told them they'd thank me later. :) The other day Alyssa asked the seniors which of their coaches over the years has been the toughest. They said that I was because I never let them stop running. :)
I was in charge of offense and Alyssa did defense. I loved watching them play. They improved so much over the season and we were so proud of them by the end!
We love our soccer girls! :)
This picture pretty much sums up their personalities. Goofy.
Some fun memories from the season:
Watching Jazzy re-do her pony tail on every away game in the mirror over the bus driver. She was SO picky! We'd all secretly be keeping a tally of how many times she started over. One game I think it was 13 times. Lots of the girls love the big "pouf" style, which Alyssa and I decided made them run slower, (not very aerodynamic) so Alyssa made them flatten their poufs before she'd sub them in.
I loved getting in there and playing with them. My favorite was when we'd play world cup. I was on team "Mexico" with Lizbeth and we rocked it.
The athletic director Jay Darrington always rode around the fields on his gator. Gracie loved Jay by the end of the season. She'd wake up in the morning and say, "Mom, I want to go ride with Jay in the Gator!"
The girls teaching me how to do the party rock anthem shuffle.
Alyssa and I would always compare stories of the outrageous things the girls would say to us. Like, "I have to miss practice on Tuesday because I have a date." or "I can't make it to districts, I have hunter's safety class that day." or "I didn't come to practice because it's kind of cold outside." Seriously? Seriously girls?
The time when all the girls were hitting on Jared when he was standing outside our bus..."That's YOUR husband? He's SO cute!" "Oh my gosh, does he have a little brother?" oh, high school girls :)
My favorite thing was watching the girls actually do in a game what I taught them in practice. One of the best feelings ever, knowing I taught them a thing or two.
I'll miss my soccer girls!

6 comments:
i didn't know you were coaching the declo soccer team. so fun. im sure you rocked at it.
i also loved jay and his gator! :) i drove that thing around quite a bit being his aide.
Way to go, Abby! I'm impressed. I don't think I remember enough of the game to coach. You're awesome!
Sounds like fun..and a lot of work! :) That field brings back memories. Did Alyssa show them how to slide tackle....she was known for doing that when I played with her. Awe fun times.
Those are the exact words I would use to describe coaching. FUN. FRUSTRATING. EXHAUSTING. So so true!
You are awesome, Abby!
You are fabulous. Way to raise your girls up right!
Post a Comment