On July 3rd, my family gathered in Provo for a memorial service for my Grandma Scott.
It was such a wonderful day. So many family members were able to make it. All my siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I took lots of pictures and am so glad I did. It's definitely a day I will look back on and love remembering.
Here we are gathering at the cemetery in Provo. Really one of the prettiest cemeteries I've been to.
The naughty little two-year-olds, Grace and Ruby (partners in crime) were taking pinwheels off of graves. Jared returned them to their rightful owners...
My brother Scott and nephew Brady practicing their musical number "Love at Home". Both did wonderfully.
Family members catching up...
My immediate family: (left to right) Scott (brother) with his wife Joanne and kids Jordan, Katie and Sam. Jenny (sister) with hubby Spencer and kids Brady, Avery, Crew and Ruby. My parents, Jared and me with Grace and Lucy, my brother Elliot who was missing his wife Kristin and kids Lia and Jonas (they were in Texas) :( and my sister Melinda who was missing her kids Brendan and Rhiannon (who were vacationing with their dad)....
The service at the cemetery was short and sweet. My Grandma was cremated and my Mom and her sisters decided to put the ashes in a box and wrap it in tin foil and orange yarn. That was how she wrapped gifts from 1960 on. All of our Christmas and birthday gifts were wrapped that way. We loved it and I'm sure Grandma did too!
Later that day we traveled up Provo Canyon to Vivian Park for the larger memorial. My Grandma requested a party. A short program and then for the guests to just visit and get to know each other better. So that's how it went! It was so fun hearing memories of Grandma, especially from her daughters. I learned a lot about her and grew to love her even more.
Here we are at the beautiful pavilion in Vivian Park...Grace and Ruby were squishing Jared and Elliot's faces and then laughing hysterically...very cute:
Our family at the memorial:
Crew requested a silly picture....
Elliot and Jenny having a blast!
My lovely cousins Lyndsey and Drew providing the crowd with a life sketch about my Grandma. They did such a good job, had the crowd laughing and crying.
Elliot, me and Jared performed "I Stand All Amazed", one of my Grandma's favorite hymns, on our guitars.
There was a very yummy dinner that was catered, then we visited with relatives and walked around and looked at the art that my Grandma had done. There were so many paintings I hadn't seen....she was so talented.
My hilarious Aunt Susan was a little stressed in planning the memorial, so she asked for a message. My siblings and cousins helped her out...
One of my favorite moments of the memorial was when the microphone was open to anyone who would like to share a memory about Grandma. My nephew Brady walked up. He is 9 years old and quite the character, so everyone thought he'd tell a funny story about Grandma or crack a joke. He got up to the microphone, started to cry and said, "when Grandma died, it changed me..." he talked about how he missed her so much, her teaching him and taking him to feed the ducks. He had the whole place in tears. It was such a sweet moment.
That evening we got together and got to choose some things of Grandma's to remember her by. It was fun getting things that I had recognized from her home growing up. I also got some of her artwork that I'll treasure forever.
It was the night before the 4th of July, so we lit some fireworks. Elliot was the official firework lighter, and was getting all sorts of cheers from the crowd of kids...it was cute.
Watching the show...
It was such a memorable day with family!
2 comments:
Great post about a special time. Thanks!
nasty pictures of me all throughout your posts....especially with El. Dang. I'll need to remember to work on my poses....:)
Post a Comment