Apr 27, 2011

Easter excitement.

Easter weekend is one of my favorites here in Burley. Celebrating with fun traditions, spring is usually in the air (unless it's snowing like last year), munching on all the Easter candy, and we get some good family time. 
Saturday morning was an Easter breakfast at Jared's parent's house. They went all out feeding us, getting us ready for our big annual scavenger hunt that morning.
Jared and I both had learned that you can't wear flimsy sandals or fancy heels to this thing, you need some good shoes you can run in, because that's exactly what you'll be doing....sprinting all over the place.
Here we are, ready to start:

Our first clue sent us down the street to Jared's Grandma's house. The next was 1/2 mile back to his Uncle Weldon's cows, then back to his parent's, then back outside....all over the place. The clues this year were tricky, too: scripture references, scrambled words (EJLOL...the clue was in the jello drawer), what rhymes with the 37th president of the U.S.? (which is Nixon, contrary to what half the websites on Jared's phone told us...), etc. They were some pretty tricky brainteasers, let me tell you. And while you're trying to figure out the clues there is all this pressure because it's a race against Jason and Jenn...so it's always exciting. We ended up barely winning this year. I'm pretty sure we've lost the past 2 scavenger hunts. It's always a tight race, and no matter if you win or lose, everybody gets a prize in the end :) The final prize this year was in the back of the Dixon (rhymes w/Nixon) lawnmower. We got some toys and a book for the kids and a big "J" that we put on our piano. Thanks again Bonnie and Chad...we had so much fun!

When we got back from our hunt, Jared and Jason hid all the eggs for the kids. They LOVED it and were so darling running around. They'd get so excited every time they found one. Gracie and Claire were so cute together, "helping" each other find the eggs...
Their baskets were overflowing with eggs and Gracie's mouth was constantly full of candy for a couple of hours afterwards. She loved every minute...
We had such a fun morning and only wished that the Pierce's had been there. 
It was such a beautiful day that we decided to work out on our yard the rest of the day. My parents came over and helped us decide what to do with our landscaping and gave us a little Easter treat. 

Easter morning....I woke up early and made German pancakes, hid the eggs around the house for Grace to find and made a carrot cake for dinner later that day. 
Gracie woke up and was SO excited about her Easter basket. She had to immediately play with her tea set, try out her new watercolors, and of course eat her jelly beans. 
Then she found out that the Easter bunny had hid eggs all around the house! She was so excited to find more "Beester" eggs as she called them.  (I can't get this picture to flip....)
Lucy loves Easter eggs too. They are the perfect size to fit inside her mouth and get nice and wet. We found a few slobbery eggs lying on the floor throughout the day.
Jared and I went to the afternoon session of Stake Conference (which was so great) and my Mom came over while the girls napped. Gracie was SO excited to put on her Easter dress and the new necklace she got in her basket to go over to Jones's for their after-conference dinner with the stake presidency's families. 
We decided to take pictures of the grandkids all dressed up in their Easter best. Grandma Jones gave them matching dresses this year, and they were so darling! Jenn and I were shocked at how well the kids posed and that we got multiple shots of everyone looking forward...very rare.
We got to skype with the Pierce's in Mississippi, then we headed to my parent's house for an Easter visit.  
My Mom had the Easter eggs with objects in them representing events that happened in the last few days before the death and resurrection of the Savior, along with scriptures to read. I know Gracie didn't quite comprehend all of the events that happened or the symbolism of the objects in the eggs, but it was a good little way for Gracie to recognize that Easter is about Jesus more than anything. I am so grateful for the Easter season and for the hope and faith it brings to my life knowing we'll all live again as eternal families, thanks to a loving Savior. 

When we were at the Stake Conference Adult session I spent a lot of the meeting out in the hallway with Lucy. She was tired and cranky and just wanted to cuddle with me. I walked in front of a huge picture of Christ in the foyer and her little head popped up, her binky popped out of her mouth, she gave a huge smile and reached her little hand out to touch His face. I had to wonder if she recognized Him from Heaven, since she was there not very long ago. :) It was such a sweet moment, it brought a little tear to my eye and reminded me how special this life is and how thankful I am for all of the tender mercies that the Lord blesses me with...

10 comments:

MegiJones said...

Ok everything looks like sooo much fun! And what a great pic of all of the kids together!! So cute. Way to go on winning the scavenger hunt this year...sounds difficult.:)

Troy and Brittany said...

Love this post. Gracie just cracks me up and they both look so cute in their dresses! Easter is becoming my favorite holiday lately. Such a beautiful reminder of Christ's sacrifice.

Pierce Family said...

What a fun filled Easter! Grace and Lucy are SO cute. Loved the grandkid picture.

Random... I love the pillows in your sun room! You will have to help me decorate when/IF I ever have the privileged of living in a house.

Nancy said...

I love the music on your blog. Sometimes I will log in just to listen to it =) You're girls are so super cute!

Ashley Wray said...

Love those darling pictures of all the cousins, they look so coordinated! What a fun filled Easter weekend, the scavenger hunt sounds so fun, you guy definitely had your game faces on!

Erin said...

Kenley and her girl cousins got the same Easter dresses! :)

Unknown said...

I love the matching Easter dresses, everyone looks so darling!!

Adele said...

Wow! I'm amazed at that picture of all the kids! Its so good! Everyone is even happy! Cute! That hunt sounds like so much fun and it sounds like you guys had an awesome weekend!

Megan said...

Easter sounds like so much fun at your house!! It makes me want to go find a bunch of eggs right now.

and that is such a sweet story about Lucy touching the picture of Christ. I love stories like that! I firmly believe that babies can recognize him and feel his spirit fully.

JoMama said...

Your Girls are SO CUTE!
Love those dresses!