Oct 8, 2010

flashback friday: games McMillans play.

Childhood games that were commonly played in the McMillan house : 
  • (the one pictured)...Elliot and I would sit on the stairs. My mom would flip a penny in the air, we'd take turns calling heads or tails. Whoever won the flip got to  advance one stair. Whoever made it to the bottom first wins. You can tell by our faces that we loved that one...:)
  • The flour game. Turn over a packed cup full of flour onto a plate. Place a penny on top. Take turns cutting the flour w/butter knives until the tower of flour falls. Whoever makes it fall has to get the penny out with their mouth. This one always got TONS of laughs.
  • My mom would always put together some science experiment for us, whether it was making a volcano out of sand in the sandbox, then putting vinegar and baking soda in it, or getting two plates and putting salt in one and sugar in the other and getting us to guess which was which without tasting them. 
  • My mom would get out a cookie sheet, put lots of random junk (from the junk drawer) on it...let us look at it for a couple of minutes, then leave the room, take something off of the sheet, come back in and quiz us about what was missing. 
  • Red light/green light in the living room. Also, Simon Says and Mother May I, which included scissor steps, crab walk, big steps, baby steps.....what else was there? 
  • One that was a favorite for family home evening was turning out all the lights and playing hide and go seek. Whoever was "it" got to hold the flashlight and search the house for everybody. My favorite hiding spot was in the dryer. 
  • Lightning. We had a basketball hoop and a cement pad in the backyard. We'd line up, shoot the ball, and if the person behind you makes it before you do, you're out. Last one standing wins.
  • We used to have really slick sleeping bags that we'd slide down the stairs in, or blankets or foam pads. I think we tried a sled once, too.
  • Puppet shows. We had a puppet show curtain that we'd hang between two chairs, then make lots and lots of brown paper sack puppets with yarn hair, and put on fancy productions. I think we even would write out a script sometimes. 
I know that this list is only the tip of the iceberg. We were always entertained growing up, my parents did such a good job of teaching us new things and playing with us. I want to remember all the games so badly, so that I can teach them to my girls. 
What was your favorite childhood game?

6 comments:

Erin said...

K. Gracie looks JUST like little ABBY!
And, what a fun childhood you had! I think I'm going to reference this post in the future when I need fun ideas!

Elliot said...

I'm glad you're writing this all down--I haven't thought about those things forever until you mentioned it here. I need to have you write my biography from like ages 3 through 18. Of course, it would probably be a little biased in favor of stories like hitting my little sister with pillows and the like.

Erin said...

I just read this post to Dustin... and he said, 'Yep. That's how it is when you're one of the three Nephites. Ooooh! I bet her mom is the third... Abby, Jared and her mom.'

Nancy said...

This was so cool! In fact I may have to do a similar post of my own. I just love your Mom, she is so awesome! I so want to play some of those games with my kids too. By the way did you get your hairflowers? I swear if your stuff went missing in the mail again... I'm going to have a thing or two to say to the postmaster. ; ) Oh, and Erin is a Nerrrd (but a lovable one).

Mom and Dad said...

We did have fun back then. My children were my best buddies, loved games and were so fun. Hey, that is all still true now!

GaiaGirl said...

hmmmm.....my games involved hanging cloth diapers on a clothesline and lots and lots of babysitting...