Jan 29, 2010

Cruise Day six: Isla Roatan, Honduras

Thursday we port in Isla Roatan, Honduras. The few people in our group who had done this cruise before said that this port was their favorite, mainly because it's so gorgeous and because the snorkeling is so incredible. I have to
agree with them. It's amazingly green, lush and has really thick jungles everywhere. It's a small island, and very hill-y. I think it's similar looking to Maui...just beautiful. It's not as Americanized as the other ports, just very natural.
We found big bus taxis to take us to the beach, and our driver let us stop at the top of one of the hills to take pictures...
Our driver then took us to this fancy resort called the Mayan Princess where we'd stay for the rest of the day. It was so nice! We looked into it later, and it is very inexpensive to vacation in Roatan. The driver also told us, to build a nice house would only cost about $60,000. We decided this will be where we build our vacation home in the future :)
Here is Jared walking next to the pool at the resort:
The beach we stayed on for the rest of the day...
The best part about this day was the snorkeling by FAR! You could swim right off of this beach and there were amazing things to see...huge coral, rainbow colored fish, turtles, a nasty snake/eel, etc. It was like a big fish tank. Some of it was so perfect it looked fake :) We snorkeled for hours. I'll have to post pictures when I get them from our underwater camera.
We loved this day...it was relaxed and beautiful. When we got back to the ship we were so tired from getting so much sun, we got in our robes and took a 2 hour nap before our next formal dinner night. It was lovely...we even got to watch the sunset from our table.
We went to the Karaoke lounge again that night and got a special treat. Marianne and Krista (the two I'm sitting by below) put Dr. Ammon Jones's name in (the one in the white shirt and tie!) for "I'm too Sexy" without him knowing. He was REALLY opposed to it for the first 5 seconds after his name was called...then he gave in and immediately was in character when he got on stage. We were all laughing so hard we were crying...he was hilarious.
Abby and Jason singing "Copacabana"....classic:
The dance club was playing some 80's hits that night...we were unstoppable! :)
Every minute was a blast!

2 comments:

Valerie and Garrett said...

wow! I can't believe how blue the water is in all of these pictures! Truly Paradise! How fun for you! I so want to go there! :)

Ashley said...

Pretty sure I need a detailed copy of your itinerary, cruise ship, tours, tour guides...EVERYTHING. This looks like an AMAZING cruise!---just what we need :)