Dec 4, 2009

flashback friday: tis the season!

Christmas time is here!
I could write a million flashback fridays on Christmas. Those are definitely some of my best childhood memories. Every year was so memorable in it's own way.
Every Christmas Eve, we'd light our German nativity pyramid and have a big dinner which always included shrimp, steak, and martinelli's. We played a game (one of my favorites: Christmas Eve sock wrestling!), watched a Christmas movie, had a spiritual thought, etc. Each of us was in charge of one event for the evening. Always very memorable.
Our ward parties were so fun. It was always suspenseful to see what your part would be in the Primary nativity program. Mary? Sheep? Star holder? Then we'd always sit on Santa's lap (a.k.a. the big friendly old guy from the ward) and get a brown paper sack of (yucky) candy and peanuts. Maybe an orange too.
We always had a caroling family home evening with the Barker family, went to the first presidency Christmas devotional as a family, and of course listen to the Carpenters and the chipmunks...(and that one country song with the line, "Reindeer out in the yard?" Siblings--do you know who sings it?)
I'd always sleep in Elliot's room on Christmas Eve and we'd discuss the existence of Santa. I remember telling him that our neighbors, the Flints, told me that there were reindeer tracks in the snow in front of their house, and they heard jingle bells in the middle of the night! Totally real.
El and I would wake up early and then wake everybody else up, Melinda being the most stubborn on Christmas morning, would sleep in as long as she could. :) We would have to wake our parents up before we could go in the living room and open presents. It was SO very suspenseful! But always worth the wait! Here is one of my favorite Christmas mornings:
My parents re-vamped an old barbie house for me. It was magical! I couldn't have been happier.

What were some of your traditions?

9 comments:

GaiaGirl said...

whoa, whoa, whoa...since when have i EVER had the designation of 'most stubborn' in THIS family!?

It may be that i was putting on makeup after too many years of really unattractive Christmas morning photos....

we really grew up in two different families...i have no memory of half the things you listed.

Jenny said...

I have to agree with you on the "melinda sleeping in the longest" thing. She liked to torture us! :) I think that is what you meant, as the most stubborn on Christmas morning (?) BTW, I don't know that country song.....anyone else? I'd love to hear it....

Erin said...

So cute... Dustin and I have been discussing lately what traditions we want to have with our family. I think THAT is one of the most exciting things about the holiday... Its about family and memories.

The Jones Crew said...

I love your christmas page I can't wait until christmas to see you guys

Troy and Brittany said...

Oh, look at you all little. One of my favorite Christmases was when I got my Barbie house, too!

Ashley said...

Oh my, I totally remember that barbie house...pretty sure I was seriously jealous :)

HAYHAY said...

Oh man you are bringing back some good memories. I remember thinking I saw a flash of green outside the window because my parents told me the elves were watching me to see if I was being good. Sounds a little creepy now, but it was pretty effective:) I also remember the yucky candy in the brown paper bags... classic!
I have a picture very similar to this one of you of my christmas barbie house. THose were the days. YOu are adorable.
I LOVE LOVE the picture of Gracie in you header!

Mom and Dad said...

Fixing up that Barbie house was a fun project for Dad and me. We knew you would love it. It helped me remember how much I loved playing with good OLD Barbie (She is almost as old as I am!) You were a cute little Christmas elf!

Elliot said...

I love how you're the archive for my childhood memories. I can't remember this until you mention it--I love it!

I totally remember everything you said. Melinda would sleep in FOREVER! But then eventually Scott thought that was cool, so HE started doing it too.
I totally remember that reindeer song--I think it might have been Alan Jackson or some similar country singer. It was a compilation tape.
I also remember the crappy bags of "goodies" (or "baddies") from the ward and how the jolly over weight guy from the ward that portrayed Santa always smelled funny.