Nov 1, 2009

I'm scary when I cry....

Happy Halloween! This was our eventful, spooky day:

I've been waiting to put this shirt on Gracie for so long....because it's true! She is pretty frightening when she cries. And Aunt Jenny made this super cute candy-corn clippy for her hair. You can tell by her face that she's excited it's Halloween.
Halloween day was spent preparing for our ward party (which Jared and I were in charge of, being the Activities committee chair-people). It was pretty stressful getting everything put together, but turned out wonderfully! Gracie was a pink poodle for her first night of trick-or-treating. She carried this pumpkin around for days, practicing for the big night. (She's actually carrying it around the house right now. I don't think we'll be able to peel it away from her anytime soon).Our family's costumes: spooky, but not really coordinating in any way. I was Chinese, Jared was a hick construction worker (with the nastiest mullet), and of course, the pink poodle.
Preparing the treats was actually pretty fun...we did mini caramel apples and witch's brooms out of pretzels and fruit by the foot, along with lots of other candies and snacks. Another couple did homemade root beer...delish!
We had "fishing for prizes" for the kids, a mummy wrap/donut eating relay, sugar cookie decorating, and guess the goop, which was disgusting, but my favorite part! Peeled tomatoes as a dead man's heart, little smokies as old ladies fingers, cooked spaghetti in jello as guts! It was a hit.
At the end everybody made a circle in the room and the kids went trick-or-treating. Gracie had no clue what was going on, all she knew was she liked it. She tried to take out every candy that was put in her pumpkin and eat it immediately. Finally we gave her a dum-dum. She also really wanted to try eating a donut off of the string, so dad helped her out. She did surprisingly well.
She finished this donut with a little help from mom:It was a fun activity and a sugarful spooky Halloween! Everyone who came to the activity brought big bags of candy for the trick-or-treating and NOBODY took their candy home. We had a HUGE box full of leftover candy...so I had to keep with tradition and organize it into categories like I did when I was little after trick-or-treating. Tootsie rolls/suckers/caramels/gum/chocolate bars/ boxed candies/miscellaneous. I had a good time.

What are we supposed to do with all this candy?!

13 comments:

Royal Princess Academy said...

Gracie's costume is adorable and I laughed about you organizing the candy- I USED TO DO THAT TOO!!! Looks like a fun night good job!

GaiaGirl said...

I'm glad you're promoting donut skills. The slipping tights made Gracie's outfit look pretty racy by the end of the party. What does a dental hygenist do w/too much candy? Hire local kids to do chores for you & pay them in leftovers.

Jenny said...

I loved all your treats. They turned out darling! I love party planning....too fun. The non coordinating costumes are fantastic! I'll have to have Jared put on that mullet some time to get the full effect. It's just so fitting. Hehe!

The Jones Crew said...

Gracie makes a cute pink poodle I love all of the pictures that you guys took it looks like you guys had a great time at the party

Nancy said...

Gracie is the cutest rolly-polley-poodle! I went Chinese to our ward part too! Only I had a black wig and was Mulan style ; ) Love the Mullet.

Carly said...

What a fun party. Makes me miss our Wymount days...a lot! Loved all your costumes!

Troy and Brittany said...

Ha, Gracie looks adorable. Jared kind of creeped me out and your outfit was cute. I have to admit I'd probably just throw the leftover candy away. They're all the candies I don't like to eat. ha.

Erin said...

I love that her little thighs are sticking out on top of her 'Baby Legs.' She's such a cute little poodle.

Unknown said...

Totally keep the tootsie rolls for yourself! SO fun. gotta love halloween and it looks like you threw quite the party!

Pierce Family said...

What a fun party! Gracie is a cute poodle! I love her leg warmers and boots! As for the candy... eat some chocolate for me!!!

Marissa said...

gracie is getting cuter and cuter (if that's possible). your halloween party looked awesome. ky and i are the activities chair "presidents" and we are not the party throwing type. are you in charge of a christmas party? i should get some ideas from you.

Liz Wilcken said...

So fun! What a cute little poodle!

Rosie said...

what do with the candy?? Mail to to us!! j/k. Don't. I've eaten way too much as it is.

Gracie looks adorable! Those legwarmers are awesome.