Jared and I played BABA baseball every summer when we were little, and Jared played in all sorts of leagues into Jr. High and High School. (My brother beaned Jared in the shoulder at his VERY first up-to-bat in fast pitch...traumatized him and Jared claims Elliot did on purpose.) In these pictures we both were on the Gary D. Jones Construction team...I think my picture was a couple years later than Jared's even though I was pretty tall for my age. Apparently that year I was voted the prestigious, "BABA Little Miss softball Dress-for the-Part" award...(it's in my scrapbook). I must have been sporting some pretty stylish scrunchies, tube socks and stretch pants...I think that's what baseball is all about in the little girl's league--who's pony tail looks the cutest. :)We now take the valuable skills we learned from little league and apply them to the Orem city league, where members of my work (a dental office) make up the Drill Team (get it? Drill--dentist?). We really aren't bad, in fact, we're getting to be pretty darn good. A threat, you might say. Of course when I say "we" I mean everyone else on my team. I think I average about 3 or 4 errors a game, but at least I have fun doing it right?! :)
Last night we had a double header. The first game was against a team of college-aged guys and girls (young whipper-snappers!). At first I thought, "Oh great, they're going to be obnoxious and cocky, like a few of the other teams like this we've played..." Playing time rolls around and we have JUST the right amount of players...but nobody to sit out and hold Gracie. "You'll just have to play down a player for the game", the umpire told us. A guy from the other team heard our dilemma, walked into our dugout and said, "I'll babysit her..." For the whole game, every time we were playing out in the field, he'd run over and hold Gracie, missing his turn to bat. Isn't that so nice?! I'd watch from second base as he bounced her on his knee, and get toys out of the diaper bag for her to play with. We were ahead the whole game, but they came back and beat us by a couple of runs. I really didn't mind because they ended up being the nicest team and deserved it.
The second game we were nice and warmed up...we won by quite a few runs, and it felt good. I have to tell you that Jared is such an all-star. He got a homerun last night and ran the bases so fast! I always watch him run in amazement. He also caught SO many balls in left field, even though the sun and wind was in his face. He's pretty awesome, and definitely an asset to the Drill team.
There's nothing like a good softball game in the summer time is there? To make it perfect I guess you would have to top it off with a snowcone and a capri sun. :)
9 comments:
Dress for the part award? I just think about the famous Karen Redder quote concerning sports:" Its better to look good than be good" Sounds like the "Drill Team" is both!
love, Mom
Isn't this the year we first met? Fuzz was our coach wasn't he? Too funny.
Look at how cute your dimples were! Oh my heck! I can see why you won awards! :)
Thanks for the blog invite, we love your fam.
"He's pretty awesome, and definitely an asset to the Drill team." I don't think that sentence has ever been said about a man......hehehe! Loved the flash back and the softball stories!
Nice! Your snowcone and capri sun made me think of the Brian Reegan (spelling) jokes about little league. If you haven't heard them, you definitely need to:)
Jared is one of my favorite people of all-time, so if I beaned him on purpose it could've only been a temporary fit of jealousy because of his ultra-coolness!
We sure are glad you guys are on OUR team!! You guys are awesome!
Way to go Drill Team! I had to laugh at your mom's comment, definitely my mom's comment to help everyone feel better after losing or striking out! You guys looks so cute in your old school BABA pictures.
Post a Comment