May 29, 2009

flashback friday: the great outdoors.

I love this picture. Everything about it...the late 80's fashions, my Dad looking like Mr. Cool with his Top Gun shades, the clever posing, Elliot giving me a wet willie, the fact that my sisters were probably off with their boyfriends, Burley in the background. It's classic McMillan.

My family would always go for random drives out into the wilderness. This picture was taken on top of Mt. Harrison. I remember thinking Burley looked so teeny when we were up there...you could still see the itty-bitty boats on the river, and someone would always bring up how the farm fields look like a patchwork quilt. It's really a pretty part of Idaho... even the ugly brown sagebrush adds a nice smell :)

I'm so grateful that I've learned to love the outdoors. I used to HATE camping/hiking/fishing, and would whine my way out of trips all the time (which yes, mom and dad, I regret now). I love it now and hope my kids will too someday. My parents were awesome at exposing us to new adventures and teaching us all about the great outdoors. I can't wait to do the same with my kiddo's!

Aren't you so glad it's summer and it's warm enough to finally hang out outside? I love it...

12 comments:

Elliot said...

Is it weird that I've never seen this picture EVER?! Btw, that's my #1 favorite shirt--not mine (tho, mine's awesome), but Dad's! I'm serious, b/c the shirt looks awesome, but it's also made out of fuzzy material. Oh man, what I wouldn't give to have that shirt now...

Laura said...

I love Idaho! There are so many great places to go and see. Who knew that Burley is so beautiful!

GaiaGirl said...

I always thought of that as dad's Mork shirt...like Mork's rainbow suspenders. I don't know why.

And if it was a weekend, its more likely I was slaving away for minimum wage in some food service hovel, I'll have you know. (Dates were at night.)

Jenny said...

Speaking of shirts........Scott is wearing MINE! That is MY shirt. I don't mean to make fun, but Scott is wearing a girl's shirt! Hehehe! Just kidding. El, Dad's shirt would be so cute on you now. I love it. Abby it is fun to see your Friday flashbacks! :)

JoMama said...

Yeah, that's not my shirt. Maybe that's why I look so displeased: I knew that someday we'd all look back at this picture and my older sister would tease me about wearing her shirt.... :P

This is Scott BTW. Abby, invite me to your blog! (Should sibling invitations be automatic?)

JoMama said...

That explains a lot....Scott is always trying to squeeze himself into my shirts...guess he feels homesick sometimes.

JoMama said...

Hi. I'm Joanne, and I think I'm super funny. :P

JoMama said...

that last comment was by Scott, though I do think I am pretty funny sometimes....

We all love you Scott and your cross-dressing ways.

Abby, please invite Scott to your blog...he was really jealous and heartbroken when I told him I had been invited and he hadn't (though you gave him plenty of warning) and now he has to sign as me.

Mom and Dad said...

I like what Abby is wearing. I think I might have made that cute little outfit. She looks so cute and stylish. I think we should all go up there again together and take a shot in the same place. It is nice up there on the mountain top!
love, mom

Mom and Dad said...

P.S. I love your flashback Fridays!
mom

Unknown said...

I think I loved reading all the comments just as much as your post! haha, I really got to see what was happening! Love the McMillan family!

Ashley said...

Ahhh...the McMillan family, just like I remember them! Gotta love the 80's!!